Alumni Ambassador Program Role Overview
VOLUNTEER ROLE OVERVIEW
Alumni Ambassadors represent the perspectives of their Pathways Program location and inspire their communities to create meaningful engagement opportunities with their fellow alumni. Alumni Ambassadors actively participate in and lead events, promote opportunities with the alumni network, and share their Pathways experiences on both a local and national level. Alumni Ambassadors connect program locations, Pathways alumni, and Pathways Canada’s Alumni Engagement team to ensure that alumni voices are shaping the program for future generations.
Alumni Ambassadors are expected to commit to a minimum term of one year, and a maximum term of three years.
Alumni Ambassadors can be located anywhere in Canada and must represent the program location they graduated from. Participation can be virtual or in-person, based on the location of the volunteer.
WHAT ALUMNI AMBASSADORS WILL DO
- Attend local Pathways graduation ceremonies and connect with graduating students to cultivate engagement with the Pathways network.
- With the support of Pathways Canada, organize and lead at least one local event for alumni each year.
- Actively network with Pathways alumni across Canada to champion education and promote opportunities for alumni to receive support, volunteer, and share stories.
- Act as a liaison between Pathways Canada and your program location, communicate regularly with other alumni from your program location to represent Pathways alumni and inspire future generations of Pathways students.
- Share your Pathways experience at relevant Pathways Canada opportunities to raise awareness of the Pathways Program (approximately twice a year).
- Participate in Alumni Ambassador orientation and provide feedback on your experience to help Pathways Canada continuously improve orientation sessions.
- Gather input from other alumni from your program location on what they would like support with and share that feedback with Pathways Canada staff.
WHAT ALUMNI AMBASSADORS WILL BRING
- Passion for Pathways’ mission and engaging Pathways alumni nationwide.
- Interest in expanding your understanding of Pathways Canada’s national efforts and the unique needs of local communities.
- Interest in building skills in media/public relations, communications, event management, and team building.
- Strong communications and relationship-building skills in French and/or English.
- Commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and mutual respect.
- Proficiency with and access to email, videoconferencing, and other communication tools.
WHAT WE OFFER
A meaningful opportunity to:
- Contribute to Pathways’ vision of breaking the cycle of poverty through education.
- Support the sustainability of the program for younger generations in communities across the country.
- Take a leadership role in your community; engage with program locations and new graduates to mentor and inspire youth.
- Network with corporate donors, Pathways Canada staff, and fellow Pathways alumni.
- Inform the way Pathways Canada supports alumni in the future.
- Develop or enhance your skills in communications, public speaking, event organization, and leadership in a supportive environment.
- Build your professional portfolio and personal brand while supporting your community.
- Meet and form friendships at the Alumni Ambassador Orientation Weekend in downtown Toronto. All arrangements for meals, travel, and hotel (if traveling from outside the GTA) will be included, in addition to exclusive welcome gift packages.
OVERVIEW OF THE APPLICATION, SELECTION, AND ONBOARDING PROCESS
- All interested alumni should apply through the online application form before end-of-day June 30th, 2023.
- Pathways Canada staff will review all online applications and ensure a diverse representation of Pathways Program locations.
- All candidates will attend a video conference interview with Pathways Canada.
- All applicants will be informed of their interview results by July 14, 2023.
ORIENTATION AND TRAINING PROVIDED
- The successful Alumni Ambassador candidates will receive training in media/public relations, communications and engagement, event management, Pathways marketing and branding, team building, and an overview of the Pathways Program nationally.
- Introductions to Pathways Canada staff, relevant Program Partner staff, other Alumni Ambassadors, and a selection of donors.
- Accessibility-related customer service training, as required.
- Quarterly or as-needed check-in conversations with Pathways Canada staff.
- A weekend of Alumni Ambassador orientation activities, details outlined below.
ALUMNI AMBASSADOR ORIENTATION 2023
Pathways Canada plans to host an in-person Alumni Ambassador Orientation Weekend in downtown Toronto from Friday, August 25 to Sunday, August 27, 2023.
Pathways Canada will cover meals for all 2023 Alumni Ambassadors during the orientation weekend; in addition, travel and/or hotel arrangements will be covered for those travelling from outside the Greater Toronto Area.
Alumni Ambassadors have the option to attend the orientation virtually. However, in-person attendance is strongly encouraged as some activities will not have a virtual component to them.
Please note: The Meet & Greet event and Alumni Ambassador Orientation Weekend will be conducted in English. Written orientation materials will be available in both French and English. Pathways Canada staff will do our best to offer activities in both French and English.
June 19 – July 7
Candidate interviews with Pathways Canada staff
2023 Alumni Ambassador Cohort selected, and all candidates informed
July 25 (4 – 6 p.m. ET)
Virtual Meet & Greet for Pathways Alumni Ambassadors, Alumni Advisory Committee Members, and Pathways Canada staff
August 25 – August 27
Alumni Ambassador Orientation Weekend (in-person in downtown Toronto/virtual)
Complete the online application form to express your interest and share about your connection with Pathways and your involvement in your community. The application form will take approximately 8 to 15 minutes to complete, and will be open until end-of-day June 30, 2023.